Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Console Added Search Appearance Filters For Recipes
It seems Google has added new search appearance filters to the Google Search Console performance reports. The filters are named “recipe gallery” and “recipe rich results.” This was shared with me by Brian Freiesleben but Google has not yet confirmed these are new.
- Google On Brand Based Queries & Search Result Influence
Gary Illyes from Google responded to a question around if brand based queries can hold any influence around search rankings. In short, he said it is a hard question to answer for a number of reasons.
- Interesting Google Featured Snippet Outlined
Here is a new and interesting layout for Google featured snippets. It shows the typically bullet point featured snippet but instead of bullet points, they are each in its own outlined box with the image next to it. That is, instead of images across the top.
- Google: No Indexing Issues Here At Google
Whenever Google confirms a temporary indexing issues, you see weeks and weeks afterwards SEOs and webmasters ask Google if there are still indexing issues. Why? Well, many individual sites do not get fully indexed by Google and thus they feel there is an indexing issue. John Mueller of Google said this morning, there are no indexing issues right now.
- Google Investigating Garage Door Spam
Google’s Danny Sullivan said the company is looking into reports of new spammy listings in the Google My Business listings around garage door installation companies. Ben Fisher, a local SEO, said there are “thousands of new listings are popping up countrywide with the fake” web sites in the past few days.
- Google Pagination Tests With Dancing Google Logo
Google has been testing a more results button on the desktop which removes the pagination feature and kind of adds an infinite scroll. This test is not new but more and more people are now seeing it over the past week. Here is a GIF showing that when you click (not hover over) that “more results” button it makes the Google logo dance a bit.
- Google Noogler Sign
I’ve posted many photos of Noogler (new Googlers) things, like hats, balloons, celebrations, etc. But here is one I have not seen a big digital sign welcoming Nooglers. This one is from about a year
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- COVID-19 has made getting around more complicated. We’re helping you get from A to B with new features that alert you to important information and allow you to safely avoid crowds on public transit → https://t.co/UbvQy9ihcC, Google Maps on Twitter
- I’m the public liaison for search. Not the public liaison for only web search. This is fine for me to follow-up on, and I will, as I have have with other local search stuff. Thanks for the info., Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- Panda costume ordered.. New https://t.co/mPbUWuEj58 target is £3500.. need to think of a challenge to do if we hit that before the end of July… maybe I do a run reading out all the questions that @JohnMu gets in a day.., Dom Hodgson on Twitter
- Quick poll: I use RSS regularly to read news/blogs, eg in non automated tasks., Gary Illyes on Twitter
- Twitter Working on Reopening its Verification Process, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Data roundup: Resources to help you market more effectively during COVID-19
- Next on Live with Search Engine Land: Google’s page experience update
- How local marketers can prepare for the ‘great reset’ [Video]
- Video: Katherine Watier Ong on how to grow your SEO team
Other Great Search Stories:
- Calculated fields in Google Data Studio, Omi Sido
- Custom Metrics Tables for Advanced SEO Analysis, Botify
- Save 10+ Hours Per Week With These Marketing Analytics Tips, InfoTrust
- Tips and Tricks for Coding Experiments For CRO, Conversion Uplift
- Using Google Optimize for Testing and Personalization: An Analytics Bootcamp Recap, Adswerve
Industry & Business
- Apple (AAPL) Could Acquire Search Engine DuckDuckGo – Bernstein, Street Insider
- Head of Google Ads to run Search. Move concerns SEO veterans about the future of search, Coywolf
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
- Apple updates Apple Map, Siri to show support for ‘Black Lives Matter’, Appleinsider
- Get around safely with these new Google Maps features, Google Blog
- Does the Content in Google Q&A Impact Ranking?, Sterling Sky Inc
- Mapping Local Essentials: Being the Business that Grows, Sells, or Markets the Beans, Moz
Mobile & Voice
- Did iPhone Customers Consent To Siri Eavesdropping On Their Conversations?, Forbes
- Google Assistant Could Soon Control Doorbells, PYMNTS
- Here’s how Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri answer the question, ‘Do black lives matter?’, The Verge
- A Well-Formed Query Helps a Search Engine Understand User Intent Behind the Query, SEO By The Sea
- The Anatomy of the Perfect SEO Report, SEM Rush
- Google Webmaster Hangout Notes: May 29th 2020, DeepCrawl
- Google Ads Close Variants | Is Matching Getting Worse?, Cypress North
- When To Test Google Ads Portfolio Bidding, PPC Hero
- How To Merge PPC Data Across Platforms, PPC Hero
- Recent Advances in Google Translate, Google AI Blog